“What are 3 easy things I can do to get healthier right now?”
I get this question a lot, and the weird thing is, you probably already know the answer. Besides the obvious ‘eat more fruits and vegetables, drink more water, exercise, rest, meditate,’ I’m going to give you 3 quick tips to inject health into your day-to-day. This week it’s all about easy health tips that will take very little effort to add to your routine.
1) Contrast Showers – You’re going to think I’m a little nuts, but since it’s getting warmer outside, the idea of cold water in the morning might become more appealing.
WHY? – To boost your immunity and vitality, not to mention energize your body and mind. Cold water is especially good for muscle recovery post-workout.
HOW? – The general rule is to spend 2-3x as much time in the hot/warm water as you do in the cold water. For example,
- Start with 2-5mins of hot water
- Flip your tap to cold for 1min
- Repeat 3-5x
When I first started contrast showers, I simply finished off my showers with cold water and worked up to adding the cold intervals in.
2) Dry Brushing – Besides being a great way to exfoliate your skin, this trendy bathroom habit is invigorating and helps improve lymphatic circulation to facilitate detoxification.
3) Have Vegetables for Breakfast – Ok, ok, I said I wasn’t going to be obvious and tell you to eat more fruit and veg, BUT this is a GREAT way to incorporate more veggies into your day!
WHY? Low fruit and veg consumption is associated with higher risk of mortality due to stroke, cancer and other chronic diseases. We also know that increased intake of fruits and vegetables independently LOWERS the risk of developing these same diseases.
HOW? Consider having some lightly steamed kale or broccoli with your eggs. If you’re not a savory breakfast person, try throwing some spinach in your smoothie. You won’t even notice the taste! Here’s a great recipe for a green smoothie.
Try injecting health into your day with these 3 easy tips. Let me know how you do in the comments!